Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Recommended Reading for President Obama

I was in Montpelier, Vermont, our state capital, when Obama was inaugurated. I was watching the event on a big screen with about 200 or 300 other Vermonters (the only state George Bush did not visit as President). When Obama gave his inauguration speech, a cheer went up among many of us with his reference to nonbelievers.

That was a historic first. Only Lincoln, to my knowledge, came this close to a public statement accepting, if not atheism, a kind of agnostic theism. However, President Obama, I encourage you to refer to us as Free Thinkers rather than non-believers. We are all, after all, believers in one thing or another, but we are not all Free Thinkers.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I cheered too. Albeit, alone and not live.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Snarky, sarcastic comment deleted.

Intelligent criticism or comments welcome.